Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Reflection on Unstructured Learning.

From the moment that I decided somewhere deep inside myself that I wanted to try my hand at being a costumed adventurer, to the moment I first stepped out into the night with a mask on my face and the wind on my bare legs, took about three months.  Three months of self-doubt and self-ridicule.  Three months figuring out how the hell I was going to make myself a costume.

The costume was difficult, because I couldn't start designing it until I'd thought of a name.  This stumped me for a couple of weeks, because everyname I came up with sounded stupid, and what I really wanted was something with the same sense of drama and excitement as "Hooded Justice."

Eventually, a suitable handle was provided inadvertently by one of the other cops that I worked with down at the station house.  He'd invited me out for a beer after work two or three times only to be turned down because I wanted to spend as much of my evenings working out in the Police Gymnasiums as possible, after which I'd usually go to bed around nine o'clock and sleep through until five the next morning, when I'd get up and put in a couple of hours workout before donning my badge and uniform in readiness for my day job.  After having his offer of beer and relaxation turned down yet again by reason of me wanting to be in bed early, he finally gave up asking and took to calling me "Nite Owl" out of sarcasm until he finally found somebody else to drink with.

"Nite Owl."  I liked it.  Now all I had to come up with was the costume.



The text from The Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons provides so many different outlooks on how to accomplish the impossible and unimaginable. When the author(s) talked about how "three months of self-doubt and self-ridicule" turned into something so worthwhile, it makes the hardest of obstacles and the worst of trying times seem manageable. The theme being put across in this text is that even when the going gets rough, just stay strong and try and try again. Sometimes, the hardest assignments can kill you but as we all know, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and makes you a fighter.


The author(s) seem to encounter: creative blocks, doubt, loss of self-esteem, low confidence levels. That whole journey makes us strive to work harder every day to accomplish what seems to be the most frustrating or grueling tasks we could ever imagine. After all, we're only human and we have to fight off what we're feeling sometimes to reach the top of the mountain we need to get to. No matter if the seas get rough and something as simple as a name can drag you down, once completed, you realize it's completely worth all the stress, worry and work that was put into it.


Another small theme is the idea that the slightest moments can be the biggest inspirations in the end. Whether it be a personal nickname or something you see on the street, inspiration is all around. We have to be open to anything in times of need for it and we have to look for inspiration with eyes wide open at all times. Inspiration is always necessary in the life of a creator---which we all are creators somehow and someway. The theme of being on the hunt for inspiration does not only apply to "Nite Owl" but also in our every day lives to keep it fresh and original every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment