Sunday, April 29, 2012

AP Progress In Session.

For this weekend's venture in the AP English literature study session, I decided to look at the analyzing essay prompt download. I used this resource as a way to understand exactly what the readers and graders are looking for in this context.


The study guide laid out in great detail how to read and reread a prompt for the right information you need to receive a high grade in the essay portion of the test. It dissected the prompt and told me exactly what it means by "describing" the poem and how to analyze its literary techniques. The guide even gave definitions and examples of literary devices that a grader would be looking out for i.e. diction, rhythm, imagery, metaphor, etc.


The guide later went on the dissect the poem given into parts. It highlighted the rhythm in the stanzas and labeled the syllables in which the rhythm appeared. The next part consisted of giving a brief description of each line and the points to notice within them. The guide even provided two examples of good essays that would easily pass you during the test. I noticed that in the essays, the author is short and to the point. There are not many exaggerated statements and they say it like it is without any sugarcoating it. Even though they have multiple paragraphs, they are all pretty short and broad. They outline all the necessary details and give solid examples but there is no personal outlook in the essay.


What I need to work on based on this study guide is cutting out all of my "Hallmark card" writing. I need to just get to the point fast and state exactly what they are looking for. Even though that kind of writing does not sound interesting, I guess the graders care more about what you know compared to what you think/your personal outlook. If I can get rid of the idea of persuading it in my own light, I think I can easily get an 8 or 9 on my essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment