Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tools That Change The Way We Think.

   With all these new advances in media, the Internet, and technology, it can be a little overwhelming at times. But personally, I feel like these discoveries are dumbing me down. I only care about finding the right answer quickly---not the excitement or determination in searching for these results. When Google fills in my search bar with what I wanted to find, sure, it's more efficient and useful. But it also causes me not to care about what they may put in front of me. I don't take the time now to sift through various sites. I choose the first couple that are on the top of the list (which might not even be relevant to my question/search). Depending on technology has no depth to it; it gives you the information it thinks you would like to hear and nothing beyond that. Not only have filter bubbles made me lazier, but the option to have multiple Internet tabs up or have unlimited access to sites make me procrastinate. One click away from doing something important can lead me to a new site that takes me somewhere else and there goes an hour from my work. I can't concentrate on what needs to get done because I could go to a completely different link for something irrelevant.
   It's hard to imagine how people got along without Google or iPads. Of course, I know they used books and other news outlets for their resources but compared to now, they must have had some sort of driven attitude to get them where they needed to go. Researchers must have felt the need to hunt for the latest discovery where as now, kids can unconsciously look stuff up on their iPhone in about 30 seconds. Thinking about thinking was the norm because that was the way people learned anything they needed to. There had to be great effort to look up facts or know what was going on in the world.
   I wonder what it would be like if, right now, technology and media came to a halt. What would this new generation be like if we depended on print newspapers for the latest news in the world? Or if we didn't have all of the Internet's info in the palm of our hand? Maybe it would bring us back to a more intellectual and active time. After this article and watching the video, I want to go out and look beyond what is given in front of me. I want to balance what's important over irrelevant and find what actually matters that I can't see.

No comments:

Post a Comment