Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To Facebook or Not To Facebook?

     Facebook is just one of those things. You either love it or you hate it; there's no real in between. I got a Facebook a little less than a year ago and personally, it was for a good reason. I just went to a National Young Leaders Conference in Washington, D.C., and I decided I wanted to stay in touch with my new best friends. Once I signed up, I was able to keep in touch with people from here all the way to New Jersey, Virginia, Texas, and many more cool places. It was exciting to see what they were up to or chat with them about everything new going on in their lives. It was also another outlet to express my thoughts and share what I was doing with my friends.
     Of course, I knew the risks of losing my privacy online. I understood that if someone knew me, they could see my profile or the pictures I had recently downloaded. I got the point that it may be a little sketchy to have my name and other personal details on such a popular and public site. So I took the time to go through all of the security policies and read them for what they were. I checked the things I wanted somewhat safe and allowed the details of others to be seen. I still do double check the fact that technically, no one can view my age or any other random private facts about me. I'd be paranoid if I didn't have all of this kept away.
     After I read and analyzed the article about the privacy that Facebook offered, it basically validated most things I knew. I was surprised that a huge amount pre-teens sign up despite the fact that they really don't have legal permission. Because of this and Zuckerberg's fight against COPPA, it's easier to understand the business plans he has for his site and how he wants to pay for it. It's obvious that such social networking sites could be potential threats for young adults with bullying and other crimes, but protecting these kids shouldn't just be all on Facebook. It goes to show that they can do so much, but the site is also a business. If a parent is afraid for their child to be on there, enforce rules or punishments for such actions. There may be a temptation and Facebook tries its best to be a little more secure, but it is also just trying to make a profit off the advertisements that kids endorse with their sign ups. Facebook is a social media outlet that can be dangerous and risky, but in the end, it's a choice to make one and to use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment