Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of...

     When I first watched the TED video, my immediate reaction was: the Internet is a creep. The search engine and its results all depend on what you like or where you've been; it knows things beyond what it needs to and uses it against you. Every time you search, it uses its stereotypical ways to give you some kind of biased results. Two different people can get two different products which shouldn't happen if you're looking for the same subject. Even though it may see more efficient, it also blocks people from what they need to read compared to what they want to see.
     With that, I tried different keywords in the Google search engine. I used phrases like: who was Shakespeare, William Shakespeare, life of William Shakespeare, and summary of Shakespeare's life. They all gave me different results from Wikipedia to PBS.com to william-shakespeare.com. Even though their information was generally similar, they still had specific points specified. I, then, went to Bing and used the same keywords as I did in Google. I got similar results within the websites and information, but for this search engine, I also received numerous image and news results as well. Lastly, I went to Ask.com with the same keywords as before. Like Bing, I got the same facts but more media advertisements and notifications. The searches may have all been relatively similar, but the final results show that personalization leaves a lot to be wondered.

No comments:

Post a Comment